ACDD has three committees. The duties of each committee are listed.
- To report its activities to the full Council at the quarterly business meetings.
- To make recommendations to the full Council on matters of budget, plans, policy, advocacy, systems change, and priorities for citizens of Alabama with developmental disabilities
- To assist Council staff in the preparation of required documents to include but not limited to the Council’s State Plan, Annual Report, Comprehensive Review and Analysis.
- To assist Council staff in the preparation of annual budgets and other fiscal documents.
- To make recommendations to the Council regarding staff personnel needs based on recommendations from the Executive Director to the EC.
- To have decision-making authority regarding Council business in the event of an emergency. An emergency will be determined jointly by the Executive Director and the Council Chairperson. It is the intent of this provision that the determination of “emergency” be narrowly interpreted. Any decision rendered under this provision will be communicated to the full Council as quickly as possible.
Program Planning Committee
- To make recommendations including the obligation, expenditure, liquidation, and reporting of the Council’s Planning portion of its budget in conjunction with selected Areas of Emphasis and State Plan Goals, Objectives, and Activities.
- To be responsible for Council’s planning activities, including data gathering, analysis and recommendations.
- To review and make any suggested amendments to the State Plan on, at least, an annual basis
- To monitor outcomes of current planning contracts and funded projects
- To report quarterly to the Council its actions and recommendations.
- To coordinate activities with the Public Policy Committee to ensure a successful
- implementation of the Council’s Mission and State Plan.
Public Policy Committee
- To review and recommend internal Council policies.
- To collaborate with other disability agencies or organizations to elevate the quality of life for persons with developmental disabilities.
- To make recommendations on “system change” and “capacity–building” activities to the Council.
- To review external policies in order to develop position papers or legislative platforms when deemed appropriate.
- To recommend strategies for membership recruitment.
- To review and recommend revisions to the Bylaws when appropriate.
- To recommend activities to foster leadership development among the Council membership.
- To coordinate activities with the Program Planning Committee to ensure a successful implementation of the Council’s Mission and State Plan.